Senate State Government Committee
Tuesday, June 14, 2022 | 10:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
North Office Building, Hearing Room 1
Meeting to consider SB 1140, SB 1203 and HB 2447, followed by meeting to consider these bills
10:00 a.m. – Welcome and Opening Remarks
- Senator Argall and Senator Street
Senate Bill 1140 (Bartolotta, Hughes)
- Updates and codifies certain procedures for minority and veteran procurement
10:05 a.m. – Senator Camera Bartolotta
10:15 a.m. – Department of General Services – Testimony
- Curt Topper, Secretary
- Kerry Kirkland, Deputy Secretary for Diversity, Inclusion & Small Business Opportunities
10:30 a.m. – University of Pittsburgh Medical Center – Testimony
During the testimony for the Small Diverse Business Legislation hearing, UPMC Corporate Services and UPMC Health Plan were afforded the opportunity to provide testimony. Speaking on behalf of UPMC Corporate Services was George Robinson, director, Supplier Diversity & Inclusion, UPMC, and Jonathan Encarnacion, senior director, Medicaid Programs, UPMC Health Plan. During Mr. Encarnacion’s testimony, he inadvertently stated that 100% of UPMC Health Plan’s contracting is with small, diverse businesses (SDBs). In fact, he should have said that UPMC Health Plan routinely strives to maximize its contracting with SDBs and to meet or exceed 100% of any diverse vendor requirements contained in Commonwealth and other RFPs and contracts.
- George Robinson, Director of Supplier Diversity and Inclusion
- Jonathan Encarnacion, Senior Director, Medical Assistance, Health Plan
10:45 a.m. – National Federation of Independent Business – Testimony
- Melissa Morgan, Assistant State Director
Senate Bill 1203 (Argall)
- Prohibits contracts, grants and tax credits for companies which do business with Russia or Belarus.
11:00 a.m. – The Honorable Jim Gerlach
- President and CEO, Greater Reading Chamber Alliance
11:15 a.m. – Iryna Mazur
- Honorary Consul of Ukraine in PA
11:30 a.m. – The Pennsylvania Farm Bureau – Testimony
- Kyle Kotzmoyer, State & Local Affairs Specialist
House Bill 2447 (Benninghoff)
- Divestiture of Russian and Belarusian assets by the Commonwealth’s public funds
11:45 a.m. – Pennsylvania’s Public Pension Funds
- Tim Reese, Chief Executive Officer, Pennsylvania Municipal Retirement System – Testimony
- Joe Torta, Executive Director, State Employees’ Retirement System – SERS Info Packet
- Bob Devine, Interim Chief Investment Officer, Public School Employees’ Retirement System – PSERS Remarks
12:10 p.m. – The Honorable Stacy Garrity
- Treasurer, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
12:30 p.m. – Closing Remarks and Adjournment
- Senate Bill 1140 (Bartolotta) – Amends the Military Affairs Code and the Procurement Code to provide for procurement programs for veteran owned businesses and minority owned businesses.
- Senate Bill 1203 (Argall) – An Act preventing the Commonwealth for dealing with persons associated with the Government of Russia or the Government of Belarus.
- Amendment A04701 – Exempts critical material and critical mineral from the prohibition. The Treasury Department shall develop a list of critical materials and critical minerals.
- House Bill 2447 (Benninghoff) – An Act providing for divestiture of state investments to Russia and Belarus.